October 4, 2012

Welcome Fall and Rest

We made it through September! More will come on last month {and pictures of course!}. Jon and I are entering October feeling accomplished, but in need of rest and time together.

A couple of things about rest that have been heavy on my heart over the past few weeks:
  • God made it holy! 
    • I think we've all heard to rest because, after all, God rested. Not only did God rest but he also blessed and sanctified it! 
    • {Genesis 2:2-3 -- By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that He had done.}
  • It's one of the 10 commandments. 
    • This may sound silly, but it's easy for me to forget that resting is a command! It's not something that it is simply good for the soul and your relationship with God.
    • Read Exodus... it's full of the importance of Sabbath. 
  • Time spent with my Creator is essential.
    • The more I push into Him and abide in Him, the more I learn about Him and His goodness, mercy, substance, desire for me, love, grace, story, etc., etc.
  • I just feel better.
    • I am a better person when I give myself rest physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I am not as grumpy. My body doesn't ache... and neither does my heart. 
  • I can continue to give of myself.
    • It's months like these {we were only home 1 of the 5 weekends in September} that I remember how little I have to offer when I push myself too far. It's obvious that God knew what he was doing when he commanded us to rest... how can we continue to love others well when we are too drained?
So, as Jon and I continue to learn how to rest {even when we find ourselves in the middle of a busy month}, my question(s) for all of you is how are you resting? What would say is your best "rest" experience? How did you create a rhythm/discipline of routine resting? 





























2 comments:

Vince said...

great points on rest! I wrote a response to your question, but got an error when I tried to post it, and lost the comment. I'll have to try again later...
Does anyone other than me have trouble reading the code words?

Vince said...

you guys are such a great couple! love the picture. thanks for sharing your life with us!
in flight from Boston - and happy to be heading home! will see you soon.